7/24/2007

Somewhere beyond the blue...


Amidst various house improvement projects, Andy and I were commenting that we may be putting too much of our energies into caring about the house. Andy said,
"if you think about it, we'll be living in a mansion for eternity anyways".

This really hit me! Why am I so concerned about this box that we live in? Yeah, yeah, I can say I enjoy it, call it my hobby, my little outlet of creativity, making a house a home...

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." Mt. 6:19-20

I think the Lord is showing me the freedom in not holding onto this earth so tightly that if it was snatched right out of my hand, I'd be ok. The energies that are "heavenly" are those of Christ's mission and are not only fulfilling in the here and now, but also will make eternity so much sweeter!

"This world is not my home, I'm just passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

10 comments:

Shawna said...

great post and reminder.

I have to tell myself often that the Lord and His people are WAY more important than my trim getting put up in my basement. And when you do look at it that way, it all seems to pale in comparison.

Rachel said...

I often have these same thoughts, Jenica. Every time we begin a major project, it seems like it just takes every bit of time and energy that we have.

I love the reminder that this world isn't our home. If we really lived in the light of that, what kind of people would we be?!

jenica said...

I know! What kind of ppl would we be? It's actually really exciting and such a challenge! If our all (and that didn't include striving after possesions) was used for Him, the more joy we would have and the more glory He would have!

Mrs.A said...

"This World Is Not My Home" is one of my life's theme songs. It gladdens my heart each time I hear that my students have their priorities right. Thank you for sharing these encouraging thoughts.

Kari said...

Such a great thought and reminder, esp. as we labor away on our house these days. Its so important to take time off and focus on whats in front of us. I've really tried to make special time for Edward in the midst of work.

Marcie said...

I have been thinking of these things a lot lately as well and the Lord hit me with the thought, "The Lord is preparing a place for us and He is preparing us for that place." So, the way we react to every circumstance is so important is making us more like the Savior! Thank you for the encouragement.

Grace Powell said...

Thank you for the perspective. It reminds me to be content when Brandon and I are seldom disciplined enough to set aside the time and energy to do projects. I get so frustrated that we (I mean me) are forever talking about projects and never starting, or starting and never finishing, them. I guess in the long run it really doesn't matter.

jenica said...

It seems it's harder to "lay up our treasures in heaven and not on earth" when you live in the U.S. because materialism, comfort, pleasure is what our society is about...it's so easy to get into that mantality. But shouldn't we want to seek something higher?

I'll quite commenting on my own post... =)

Anonymous said...

Amen Jenica!

Ruth said...

Great thoughts Jenica.
It IS so easy to get wrapped up in not only home projects but just every day life. It is SO good to sit back sometimes and remind ourselves what our perspective really should be.