12/28/2007

Dolls

Even though we are swimming in toys after Christmas, for some reason I'm looking at them online today. Kari told me about the great sale at toysrus.com plus $20 off if you use paypal checkout.

The twin's birthday is not too far off, so I guess that is shopping justification? I'm looking at dolls for Chloe. For some reason I regretted that I didn't get my girls a doll for Christmas. Not that they need one, but every year when I was young I got a doll. (Conveniently, my grandma and I were both doll lovers.) But dolls just seem to be part of Christmas for a little girl. However, I don't want to stress this. I certainly don't want to put expectations on what gifts my children think they need. Conversely, I hope to teach them they really don't deserve anything.





Does anyone remember My Child dolls? My sister and I were reminiscing about them. A flood of memories come back when I hear their name. I LOVED them. I asked Mom if she still had mine, and last she remembered, it at been colored on with a marker and sent to Goodwill...

Interestingly you can still get them only they are now vintage dolls (am I really that old?), sold on ebay, etc. I found pics of the two I used to have. I wonder if they will ever be manufactured again? I hope so!

I thought this Madame Alexander doll at Target was really cute.





I also like the American Girl Bitty Baby. The price isn't so nice.
But is buying toys really worth it when your kids, amongst piles of new toys, are choosing to play with a board, hammer and nails?

10 comments:

Shawna said...

except those are screws, not nails! you have one talented girl.

I hear you on the dolls. I always got a cabbage patch doll for christmas..it was so exciting to see what her name would be and what outfit she came with. One year I got one with the same exact name as my mom, and she had a gymnastics outfit on! Interestingly enough, my girls never have cared for CP. This year cam did get a baby that wets from her sisters. It has been quite the hit. Although she did say, "awww man, she doesn't poop?" Rex informed her we have a baby that does that! :) haha.

Brooke said...

I had a My Child! I remember getting it for Christmas and being SOOOO excited. I LOVED it!

Kim & Dave said...

Very cute! Quite the girl you have there!

I know about the doll thing. Ruth doesn't have many, so we bought her on this year & I felt myself thinking, "Ana needs a doll, too." Then I thought, "What, Kim??? Have you lost your mind??? She already has like a hundred!!!"

Ana did not get a doll. I'm still a bit sad. :(

Mom To B and W said...

I remember My Child! But not until you posted about it, haven't thought about them in ages.
I loved dolls and was keeping my fingers crossed that Bella would too. She is only 15 months old, but she is super into babies already. This won't be any help to you, but if anyone is looking for the perfect doll for little ones, I recommend Baby Stella:
http://www.geniusbabies.com/baby-stella-doll-manhattan-baby-toys.html

My best memory of Christmas is when I got my first American Doll when I was 9. I suppose if your girls won't play with them, it is a waste of money. But if Bella is interested I don't care how long we save, she will get a doll. And I can't wait!
Let's hear the story of the hair Jenica!
XShayna

Grace Powell said...

I still have a my child! Unfortunately at one point I cut her hair and her face is a little dirty. I am hoping to be able to clean her up for Elisa some day.

Rachel C said...

I loved the cabbage patch dolls too, especially when they came out with the ones with the hair you could brush. I loved getting their birth certificate as well. Great reminiscing. Aunt Abbey got Adison a doll, she likes it but is way more into stuffed kitties and puppies.

jenica said...

Leyla's hasn't had much interest in baby dolls. Chloe does, though.

Shayna, that is such a cute doll! I love the accessories. And I may tell the hair story...=)

I liked Cabbage patches too, but not like I did My Childs :)

Anonymous said...

Jenica! I had no idea you were in the world of blogging, too. The only doll that really meant anything to me was my American Girl doll, Kirsten. We have the same name, so I'm pretty excited about her.

Andrea said...

Jenica I was just stalking your blog and I have to say that I had a My Child and it was my favorite. In fact I had the one you have pictured. Only, I don't think that's her original outfit. Didn't they come with lockets?

jenica said...

Hey Andrea! Your photography is fabulous by the way!

No, that can't be the original outfit, but I don't remember what it was. A locket faintly comes to mind...