1/23/2007

What NOT to do at Walgreens!

Before you start reading "what not to do" is displayed in orange. If this looks like an overkill (it is) scroll down to my last 2 points!

I was encouraged by Rachel and Shawna to take advantage of the deals at Walgreens. They did a great job explaining how to go about using coupons and rebates to get items for next to nothing. They are in no way to blame for my stupidity. So I decide to head to Walgreens. I'll figure it out once I get there. No planning for me!

I buy a Sunday paper and pull out just Walgreens ad. I thought it was a little strange they were also in all the store carts... I thought this was why I bought the S.P. I spoke with the sales lady asking her how to use everything, she wasn't much help. I felt stupid and pestery, so I just started my shopping.

After probably an hour of scrutinizing the coupons vs. rebates (nothing matched up), punching numbers in my head, strolling the aisles in a unfamiliar store hunting for the rebate deals.

Here's what I ended up with checking out counter:

  • 3 boxes Post cereal total - 10.99 (rebate of $5)I pay 5.99
  • Kimberly Clark products total -22.54 (rebate $10) I pay 12.54
  • Chlorasceptic strips - 2.99 (free after rebate) I pay 0
  • Joint Juice - 5.99 (free after rebate) I pay 0
  • 3 oral B tooth brushes - 13.47 (free after rebate) I pay 0
  • Paper bathroom products - 10.58 (rebate $10) I pay .58

My grand total? 66.38 Wow that seems like so much for what I got! I ask the cashier again if I'm doing this right to get the best deal. She said "well you can use the coupons in the Sunday paper." I have the Walgreen's coupon add and nothing matches with the rebates. She shows me the MANUFACTURER'S coupons and quickly thumbs through them saying that nothing matches with what I got. Ok.... still this can't be right...but I gotta get out of here before I go crazy!

I get home so flustered and frustrated knowing something wasn't right. I spread everything out in the living room reevaluating it, by this time knowing it was the absence of manufacturer's coupons that was my mistake. Andy is looking at me pitifully and saying "if I were to go to Walmart you'd probably pay like $20 for all this, not $67, they must really jack their prices up!"

I get on Rachel's blog and read "Walgreen's explained...hopefully". Man, why couldn't I have read this before I shopped?

I went back to Walgreens and returned:

  • 2 Oral B tooth brushes, kept ONE (the rebate was 1 free not 3) and used $1 off coupon, so I actually made $1!
  • Kimberly Clark products because 12.54 wasn't that good of a deal
  • 3 boxes Post cereal because 5.99 wasn't that good of a deal and they were cereals I'd normally would not buy.

As I'm returning this stuff I spy and shelf with ALL THE REBATE ITEMS ON IT. I felt like going and knocking them all down.

Ok, I get $46 credited back to me. Whew, I felt better!

Bottom line:

I am an idiot! Trust me you'll do much better than I did!

I got $20 worth of free things! ($10 of it is stuff I normally wouldn't buy)

I've learned "what not to do at Walgreens". Yes, I'll try again. I DO think there are deals to be found!

So mark my words:

Refresh yourself from "Walgreens explained...hopefully"

Collect manufacturer's coupons before you go. This might take a bit of effort.

Plan out exactly what you are getting that corresponds best with manufacturer's coupons, in store coupons, and monthly coupons/rebates. You can use them all together.

Go to the shelf with all the rebate items sitting nice and neat in front of you.

Yes, there are some deals at Walgreens. The key is getting it down, so that your time spent doesn't overwhelm your money saved.

If you can, go with Rachel or Shawna!

13 comments:

Rachel said...

I am laughing out loud! That was hilarious to read...thanks for sharing! Actually, I've gotten flustered myself at times, but you're completely right about going to the store prepared and organized. Even when the kids aren't with you, it's still difficult to figure out on the fly. I guess that's why more people don't participate in the rebates.

Hang in there, Jenica! Once you get a really good deal, you'll be sold. Oh, and be sure to send in your Walgreens stuff asap (this is the last week for January) so that you get your gift card as quickly as possible. The first time takes a little while.

jenica said...

Haha, Rachel, I was still editing it.
I didn't want to make it sound like I was dogging you or the deals.
Thanks for the reminder. That would be my luck to not send in the rebates, etc.=)

Shawna said...

There is a learning curve, but it is SO worth it.

I had to laugh at Andy's response though. Rex always has the strangest look on his face when he looks at what I bring home. It truly is an odd assortment. But I love going to my basement when I run out of toothpaste!

Rachel said...

Dave does too! He trys really hard to act interested and impressed, but he is really just thinking, "What in the world??????" Sometimes we just laugh b/c the whole thing makes no sense to him at all.

Now that we spend less money on household items, he is definitely in favor of it though. I have really been amazed by the savings, especially being able to shop at CVS too.

Eryn said...

thank you jenica! i am too afraid to try it because i was afraid i would do exactly what you did. not thanks for messing up, but for admitting it and showing me it can still be done right and learned. i do admit, it is still intimidating.

Marcie said...

That is hilarious! I did the same thing, thinking I could wing it... I left the store with nothing, realizing I must have missed something. I am so thankful for Rachel's emails that explain the deals for each week. If you're not on the list you should get on it. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it thanks to Rachel!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenica,
Same thing happened to me about 10 times!
I've been so terribly frustrated at that store looking for the "Deals", spending so much time and coming out feeling completely jipped!
I must not know how to properly do it either!
Since they are going to build a new Walgreens here in Boone, you'd better let me in on more of the tips. I couln't get Rachel's link to work.
I can't imagine hauling 3 kids along in there while trying to figure it out. No wonder we are so tired at the end of a day!!!
Lois

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Jenica,
I think that the link to my post was wrong. :) When I clicked on it, it got an error page.

Rachel

HopiQ said...

Oh, Jenica! I tried not to laugh, but...I could just see it being ME! Rachel keeps saying that we'll get the hang of it, but...hang in there and let us know how it goes next time.

jenica said...

I fixed the link, sorry about that.

Lois, thank goodness I didn't take any of the kids with me, that's one thing I did right. My mom was just here and I was explaining it to her, maybe the 2 of you could go together. Two brains are better than one. =)

Qtpies7 said...

That is exactly what would happen to my husband! LOL I don't know if I have the patience to do that. I don't even use coupons unless they are in the store bogo or something. I do search out bogo's on shoes, since I have 9 pairs of feet to shoe!

Caleb and Anna said...

Thanks for the story! I looked at the Walgreens rebates for this month and just saw a lot of stuff I don't normally buy, and didn't want to buy it just to get a deal. I had a feeling if I tried it would turn out worse than your scenario... I have yet to get any great deals and I work there! I'm still looking though, and trying to figure all this out... but can definitely join in your frustration! -Anna