3/14/2007

Easy and Healthy

Everyone is looking for meal ideas right? I love to cook, but I'm always keeping a eye out for quick options that are healthy, too. I thought I'd share some of my latest favorites with you.


Breakfast: Blender pancakes with berry topping
I've reworked this pancake (my fav breakfast food) for a couple weeks now and come up with a recipe that is super yummy and low in fat and sugar. Now I can have a pancake every morning and not feel guilty! It only takes about 5 min. to blend these up. I've been doing one big personal pancake. Just quadruple this if you want to feed the whole fam.

1/4 c. egg beater
1/8 c. wheat berries (or use a heaping 1/8 c. whole wheat flour)
1/4 c. vanilla no fat yogurt
1/4 c. oats
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
frozen mixed berries thawed and mashed with a fork (this doubles as your syrup)
fat free whipped topping if ya like

Preheat a small (6in.) skillet on low. Blend first 3 ingred. for 2 min. add the rest and blend to mix. Spray skillet with pam and pour batter in. Makes 1 big pancake.

Lunch: Pita pizza
Take one no fat whole wheat pita and top with:
tomato slices
fresh torn basil
mozzarella (I just pull apart a string cheese)
low fat turkey pepperoni
Put in toaster oven and bake till cheese is melted.

Dinner: Rotisserie chicken = so many options
My husband chuckles when we have this for dinner because he knows I love this cop out to making a meal. I get these when I'm already at the store for other things.
Eat this with hummus or this
recipe on a whole wheat roll.
Add a veggie side like asparagus with olive oil and sea salt.

There is usually leftover chicken, so I make it into chicken tortilla soup for another dinner. I have an great Rachel Ray recipe that I adapted for this.

6 comments:

Shawna said...

yummy jenica! I think that pancake recipe looks vaguely familiar. Did you adapt it from Sue Gregg's? We love that one here.

jenica said...

No, haven't heard of Sue Greggs, but I will google her. =)

I went of a few pancake recipes, one being that blender from bread beckers that you recommended. Thanks! I love the blender idea.

I wanted no fat and low sugar.
If you try it, critique it for me ok. Hehe.

jenica said...

Sue Greggs looks the same as BB.

I don't use oil or as much grain and the cinnamon adds more flavor. It's a lighter eggier texture.

I love the BB recipe, too. Andy's not too hot on it. He thinks it's too healthy tasting.;)

Shawna said...

Rex grew up eating pancakes that resemble crepes, so he would agree with Andy on the healthy tasting!

I have wanted to get a couple of Sue's cookbooks, but I just never have gotten around to it. I think I have tried all of her free recipes on her website and really liked them.

marti said...

These look really good. I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks for sharing

marti said...

Tried the pancakes this weekend. They were very good. Joel enjoyed them too. I made a double batch so I could have one another day but he ate it!