1/09/2012

Motherhood: I'll take the good and the bad



Before they woke up, the Lord was preparing me for this... I was reminded that I can (somewhat) control their behavior, but I cannot control their hearts. But their behavior is an outflow of their hearts, so what is a mother to do? Pray. 
"Lord take my sons' heart of stone and turn them to hearts of flesh" (Ez. 36:26)
"Lord, I don't want good behavior (but I do!), I want good hearts..."

The day unfolded with much opposition, constant behavior correcting and earnest heart motivating...but the feeling of defeat set in all too easily.(I wanted to play hide and no-seek.)

And that's when Chloe came with her soft heart and showed me that the Lord was working, even when I couldn't see it.

"Mom, I know how you feel..."(and the tears start) "when I play house with my friends and I'm the mom, it can be really frustrating. I'm so sorry."

Thank you~

#293 that I cannot control human hearts.
#294 that I can give them over to the Heart-Changer everyday through prayer.
#295 that He knows them better than I do.
#296 that it's His work not mine, redemption.
#297 that I am called to show them this.




photos by Rebekah Stephenson
i am reading: 

Warrior Prayers: Praying the Word for Boys in the Areas They Need it Most




7 comments:

Elizabeth. said...

Chloe's comment was so sweet, photos are beautiful and I am so blessed by your authentic spirit. Although I know it won't always be easy, I do look forward someday to motherhood! Thanks for sharing!

Jeni said...

I am frequently amazed at how our lives often echo one another's. I think I need the book you are reading. My knees are already worn with the time spent praying for my boys. Well, one in particular :)

rebekah said...

Ahh, Chloe is such a sweetheart and your darling children are soo blessed to have you as their Mommy! Love this post.

jenica said...

Jeni - I've often thought you'd be a really neat person to hang out with... :)
Yep, and I'm reading that book for one boy in particular. He has totally shaken my mothering confidence - which is a very good thing.

E and R - Thanks for the encouragement!

Rachel said...

Jeni and Jenica, you two are not alone. ;) I am honestly surprised the Lord thought I was cut out for raising boys! haha {Oh wait, maybe He's using them to shake my confidence - like you said, Jenica - so that I can do nothing except plead with Him to do a work in their hearts}. Thanks, girls, for being real. It's really, really hard, I know, this job we're doing. So thankful that He is faithful to His Word and loves them more than I do.

Caleb and Anna said...

Thank you Jenica. I have been thinking about how little control I have, and just when I think the house is going to fall in from all the boy activity they show me they do have sweet hearts and the Lord is working! Last night during a long evening with Caleb at work Silas grabs my hands at bedtime and kisses them and Bryson sings me songs about how the Lord always takes care of us. So precious!

Kaci said...

Great thoughts! Really been thinking about hearts and how the Lord is the only one who can change them.