8/09/2009

Flavor of Iowa


Farmer's market has been part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. For my parents, selling vegetables and other farm goods has been supplemental in providing for 6 kids. With the help of us, of course.

I used to despise the work at times. Gardening acres of ground is no small task, let alone hauling it to town 2-3 times a week to sell. The benefits and beauty were hardly noticed. I longed to be on the other side of the counter buying bouquets of flowers and putting fresh food into the basket on my arm to take to my little house with my husband and kids.

But sometimes what goes around comes around and I've found myself back at the market on the wrong side of the table with my husband and kidlets.

Andy and I have been selling homemade sweet corn ice cream. It was his idea ever since my sister tasted the flavor in Puerto Rico. Since 'corn' is Iowa's middle name (and 'pig' it's last name), he thought this had to be done.

Reactions of disgust, curiosity, have-to-try-it, wow yum!, that's just weird
and often a combo of all the above are displayed by the passersby.


With some experimenting and tweaking we have come up with a pretty good recipe. Pureed sweet corn with cream and a hint of cinnamon, topped with salted sugar crackle. Almost everyone who is fearful to try it admits they like it, or love it.


Sweet corn ice cream is for a limited time only.
As fun as it is, we're tired of a corn slimed kitchen and hours of the whirring ice cream maker.

Here's what the Des Moines Register says.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

How Fun! I would love to try your ice cream sounds delicious!!

Anonymous said...

i love unique things like this!

Kari said...

And it is so yummy! Glad you guys are coming to the market, makes me not feel so bad that I am there every Sat. morning. Finally getting used to the 4:45AM wake-up call.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Mrs. Moffit!

Sounds like you are having a delightful time at the Farmer's Market! Mom said that she saw you at the market, too. I'd love to try the sweet corn ice cream sometime!

See you at the Modest Clothing Exchange! Say hi to Leyla and Chloe for me!

Joyfully in Jesus, Elizabeht

On Second Street said...

wow- kind of makes me want to drive to Des Moines so I can try it! will you be open Labor Day weekend?

Micah said...

Ha! That's really cool!

Rachel said...

Sounds yummy!

jacqueline said...

Wow! That sounds like I want to try it! If I were driving through Des Moines on my way to see family, I would definately stop to try some. What a fun adventure you and Andy have taken on. I love it!

karime said...

very cool jenica! nice article in the paper! your ice cream is the best..and the crackle is so good too. hope to see you for some on saturday, if i can get myself out of bed:)

Caleb and Anna said...

Good post! It was great seeing you all at camp! I trust you survived the rest of the week. I was pretty beat after just a couple days!

Em said...

Yum! It sounds really interesting. My friend and I were wondering if it tastes like the popcorn flavored "jelly belly" jelly bean. You are so creative, Jenica!

Marcie said...

That is awesome! I need to try some of this. What a great idea! I miss those market days, so many good memories.

Mom To B and W said...

What a lovely summer memory you are making with your family! Congrats! Very creative!

Eryn said...

that sounds like a great family adventure. i so wish i could try some. what a great idea.