8/21/2008



How
you

know
when

the
Olympics
has

taken
over

your
life:

  • You have guests over and everyone eats in front of the t.v.
  • Your 4 year old sleeps in until 11 a.m. (Oh my goodness.)
  • You hear your daughter doing an interview as Shawn Johnson. ("Yes, my name is Shawn Johnson and I started gymnastics when I was five. I'm going for the a gold medal, but yes, I'm VERY nervous. I know God will help me, though, and give me the strength I need.Thank you very much...")
  • Extremes. Opening day: your hubby used serious restraint to not go out and spend $ (for the first time ever) on a new t.v. And you predict that, closing ceremony: he will throw the t.v. we have out the window.
  • Your workouts have a whole new meaning and very unobtainable dreams & images.
  • The living room stays set up for nightly dinners in front of the tube.
  • You get teary with every victory and defeat. (Thanks, mom.)
  • "The Olympics are even better than I imagined!" your 6 year old exclaims after watching her first 10 minutes.
  • The family's bread winner can hardly function with 5 hours of sleep night after night. (Tearing siding off the house in the evenings does not help.)
  • Even your decorating is taking on an oriental flare (at least the Mr. says so).

  • The "Today Show" is on in the morning because your little girl has to catch up on what happened after she fell asleep.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the Olympics too...and, I must admit that one reason they are so great is b/c my family did what you're doing for the Olympics every four years! It was the only time we ate dinner in front of the TV...and, it was so fun to "experience the world" together! Great memories! I must say that having to watch them in Ireland this year was quite disappointing...its much better to watch them in the US!

Rachel said...

This post was hilarious! Especially the part about Andy throwing the tv out the window. :)

Anonymous said...

We will all have withdrawals next week! We look forward to watching every night,too. I bet the girls are really cute imitating the gymnastics.

April said...

Hehehe, this cracks me up. I have been hooked on the Olympics since the beginning and I didn't even intend on watching them this year. I can't wait until they're over and I can get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

we turn the tv on in the morning, and it stays on all day....

Rachel C said...

We are with you here too, dragging every morning. but just can't resist!

bandanachick said...

Ah, I know...so addicting. Although I would have to say now that gymnastics and swimming is over with I am not quite as interested.
I remember when I was younger after the Olympics I would pretend to be a gymnast and do routines in our front yard, and then of course I would do the interview. So, your daughter is not alone!
And then I married a gymnast...and well, watching gymnastics takes on a whole new meaning now. :)

voni said...

Funny:)

Sara said...

I know what you mean! We are SOO tired over here. Why is it so hard to turn off?
Sadie is also jumping and tumbling around like a little gymnast in waiting! So funny! Glad to hear we aren't the only ones!

Caleb and Anna said...

That is so funny! I can't believe you all are really doint it though, because I get so tired of all the adds and skipping around between events. Gone are the days when you could sit down and watch a whole gymnastics meet, at a decent hour, and see more than just the American's compete! -A

jenica said...

I got a little chick flick for the girls and I to watch last night while A and C did something. Leyla was horrified and insisted we could not miss the Olympics.

But I love how it's opened the world up a bit to the kids. L said we had to cheer on this Cuban competitor because our neighbors did a mission trip there. She wondered where the all Israeli athletes were (since her friend lives there)... Chloe got so excited driving by an American flag today, "there's America!"

On Second Street said...

Hi Jenica. I am not sure if you remember me from camp days, but I found your blog through Kari's. Your post made me laugh becsaue it sounds exactly like our house the last few weeks. We were sad to see the olympics go!

Michelle said...

I miss the Olympics!